February 23, 2007

Lane Kiffin on NFL Network

Linkage.

Not a whole lot there, but it's always interesting to hear the head coach speak, especially when he's brand new. A lot of non-definitive answers and a bit of backwards talk, but that's to be expected. I agree with most takes that say he doesn't really seem to be an open and friendly guy, but he sure doesn't seem rude. Just very businesslike. Pragmatic.

I found something equal parts funny and rude. It happens at the very end of the clip. When the huge interviewer (who is that?) reaches his big paw over to Kiffin and says, "Looking forward to you guys having a....it won't be a big year, but we'll just see what happens."

I was laughing. But I was pissed too. I mean, that's a normal thing that you say to teams. "Look forward to seeing you guys have success" or "Good luck next year." It's just stuff you say. But this guy caught himself because he truly believes deep within his heart that the Raiders will still suck. I thought that was pretty ballsy, considering the head coach is sitting right there. It's a pleasantry, man. You don't need to mean it. Sheesh.

No comments: