February 23, 2007

Devils 3, Rangers 2 (Shootout)

I didn't even have to type the full title, because it was already stored in memory. Why is this? Because this score happened back on February 6, if you'll remember.

Of course, I get the raw end of the deal. I have a play I need to go see late last night, "Our American Cousin," so I pay attention to the beginning of the game. I have to leave when the Devils just go down 2-0. I'm not in a great mood, I'm upset because it's the Rangers and because the Devils will lose, and thankfully that's not often but why now?
But, to my surprise, after my return, I see the Devils have scored 2 goals to tie it up, prevent any goals from being scored on them, skate through a scoreless overtime, and win in the shootout!!! Pretty exciting stuff right there.

What I witnessed was some sloppy play. Entertaining stuff, but not well executed. I witnessed Marcel Hossa and Petr Prucha (ALWAYS!!!!) score goals. It wasn't really bad play from the Devils, but it wasn't great. I thought they deserved maybe to be down one goal, but not two. But two goals they were down, then started thinking they better score.


Is there anyone on the Devils that you are more excited about than Zach Parise? I don't think anybody knew what a stud this guy would be and so quickly. The reason Travis Zajac is as good as he is (and he has a LOT of room to improve) is because Parise makes him better. He is so dang good and is the most entertaining player to watch, at least according to me. Which is sort of sad I guess when you have guys like Gionta, Elias, and Gomez. And Langenbrunner. Well, let me correct myself a little. NOBODY is more fun to watch than Brodeur at his best. But second to him is Parise for me. Probably because he is new and is flying around and making great hockey plays. So he ties it up after Ralf (what's up with him scoring like crazy?) gets the first one. Then the shootout which the Devils have maybe started figuring out starts and the Devils win it. Excellent stuff. Power play still blows, but eh. They can figure it out.

No comments: