March 10, 2007

Reds 5, Indians 2

NOTABLE THINGS

Pitching: Paul Wilson started. Pitched 3 innings, 1 walk, 1 K, 0 hits. Very nice outing. I don't know if it should be described as "masterful" or "brilliant" unless you are comparing it to every other outing he has had since 2005. Then I guess you can use these terms. Seriously, though, this guy is now the leading candidate to be the #5 starter? Is it that easy? Do things change on a whim that quickly? I don't buy it. I mean, it was a great outing, I'll give you that. I'll also give you that there is no consistency shown that you can build anything off of that outing. Here is how I see things going, or at least how they should go, for the fifth starter job:

--Kirk Saarloos (he will be on the team no matter what, still could be bullpen guy)
--Bobby Livingston (maybe not initially, but he looks like the man right now, I give Saarloos the nod due to his proven track record)
--The Lizard
--Matt Belisle (nobody talks about this guy, but he's the dark horse)
--Victor Santos
--Paul Wilson
--Homer Bailey (sorry, Savior)
--Phil Dumatrait

Anyway, back to the game. Jared Burton pitched next and didn't do anything spectacular. Saarloos pitched the next 3 innings, giving up 4 hits, walking 1, K'ing 1, and giving up 1 earned run for the win. Dumatrait pitched a scoreless eighth, and Coutlangus struck out 1 for the save.

Hitting: Denorfia, oh Denorfia. Today was your shining day, getting the most at-bats out of anybody, showcasing yourself all throughout the outfield, and being "The Man." But no, you went 0/5 with 2 strikeouts. I don't know what's happened to you man, but after I pegged you to be the starter in CF when the team breaks camp, you have done nothing but prove me wrong. Hatteberg was 0/3, as was Phillips. Guys you can count on to make the hit did not do so today. Anderson Machado finally joined the offense and went 2/2 today with a sweet triple. Conine went 2/3, and ever since I said he was an offensive black hole, he has done nothing but prove me wrong. This is what you get, folks. Make sure to bet against everything I say, that way you'll know to be right. I just don't get it right ever. But it makes for a good paradox. Javier Valentin, hitting worse than Denorfia right now, finally got a hit. Juan Castro of all people went 2/3 with 2 RBI's. Chad Moeller got a pinch-hit RBI double. Others with doubles were Conine, Castro, and Crosby. You'll know something's wrong if Conine and Moeller are the actual designated hitters during the regular season. Crosby went 2/3.

Fielding & such:
Jerry Gil had the fielding error today. Reds also turned two double plays with Janish and Votto in the thick of things. If you think about it, though those guys will be on the receiving end of a lot of double plays in the future, as they should be with the Reds team in a few years in Janish's case or a lot sooner in Votto's case. Makes the future exciting.

1 comment:

Shawn Weaver said...

Fifth starter is still wide open, but I'm thinking Denorfia starts the season in Louisville. Figure he'll be in Cincy before long, depending on how long it takes Junior to get hurt.